Featured post

How Long O Lord ?

My first appointment as a Methodist Minister saw me based in St Ives Cambridgeshire where I had pastoral charge of five churches. The Ecumen...

Saturday 11 April 2020

Many are the Faces Part 2 - God as Redeemer







Many are the faces Part 2



Having touched on suffering Josh and Mo begin a conversation about God who is sometimes seen as Redeemer or Liberator. It then leads into the familiar Hymn Guide me O my Great Redeemer

So we pick up the musical  as the song 'How long O Lord' fades out and the dialogue resumes.


Josh: That’s not fair they don’t understand God.

Mo: Why should they if he never listens. Perhaps he just doesn’t exist!

Josh: Oh no Mo you’ve got it wrong. God’s the person to have a one to one with.

Mo: Next thing you’ll be telling me is to have him on my whats app list.

Josh: Always good to be in touch.

Mo: Yes but does he get anything done?

Josh: Like what for example?

Mo: Like feed the hungry of the world, stop the fighting in Syria, stop diseases,  get rid of 
        homelessness….

Josh: I said one example. What do you want everything taken care of?

Mo: Well it’s no good saying God loves you, cares about you. People want the proof of it.  
        Otherwise you don’t get elected. Look at Labour!

Josh: God’s not a politician. Anyway he’s got a great track record. Now the bible. The bible is full 
          of what he’s done calling people to lead good clean moral lives. Fantastic leader. When 
          God’s on your side opposition better watch out.  

Mo:  Bit of a fighter then eh?

Josh: Well he has been known to get involved in a scrap or two.

Mo: Oh a Leeds United fan?

Josh: Not a hooligan

Mo: What then?

Josh: God gets on the side of the underdog. More like a Liberator always freeing people

Mo: Like when ?

Josh: Like when…um…. Like when God brought the children of Israel out of Egypt. History is but 
         the the story of God’s involvement in human development. One of the most important 
         moments in history, not just for the Jews, but for all people was the Exodus . This was when 
         God lead the people out of tyranny to a new life. This is key to understanding God as   
         Redeemer because he’s always doing that. Setting people free.

Mo: Redeemer! What do you mean?

Josh: Well put simply for I realise you are a theological illiterate. It means God gets involved in a 
          situation and is creative with it. Making something new and better out of what there is.

Mo: What like Brexit ?

Josh: Be serious. God gets things done. Thats why people put their trust in God to lead them 
        through their difficulties .



Guide me O my Great Redeemer 
Pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak but you are mighty 
Hold me with your powerful hand.
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven
 Feed me now and ever more.
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven 
Feed me now and ever more.





















Open now the crystal fountain
where the healing waters flow.
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through.
Strong deliverer, strong deliverer
ever be my strength and shield.
Strong deliverer, strong deliverer
ever be my strength and shield.













When I tried the verge of Jordan
bid my anxious fears subside.
Death of death and hell’s destruction
Land me safe on Canan’s side.
Songs and praises, Songs and praises
I will ever sing to you.
Songs and praises , Songs and praises
I will ever sing to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment